- 6 cups rice crisp cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 (10-ounce) package mini marshmallows (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (top secret!)
- 2 TBS Wilton party sprinkles (optional, but why not?!)
- 13×9-inch baking pan
- Rubber spatula
- Large saucepan or pot
- Sharp knife for cutting squares
1. Melt the butter. Melt the butter in a large saucepan or pot over low heat, gently stirring with a rubber spatula so all the butter melts evenly. Once the butter begins to bubble, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk and stir to combine. I added the full 1/2 cup for the creamy flavor that it adds, but if you decide to only add the 1/3 cup minimum, it will still get you the gooey texture that makes this dessert over-the-top! Bring the sweetened condensed milk to a slow boil, (this will happen really quickly), and cook for about a minute or less. Turn off heat.
2. Melt the marshmallows. Working quickly, add half the marshmallows and stir until thoroughly melted. Add the remaining marshmallows and stir until melted. The residual heat from the butter and condensed milk mixture should be enough to melt them, but you can return the pot to low heat for a few seconds if the marshmallows aren’t melting easily. Keep a close eye on the butter, however — you don’t want it to brown to the point of burning.
3. Add the cereal. Add the Rice Krispies cereal and gently stir it in until the cereal is completely coated with the melted marshmallow mixture, scraping edges of the pan as you go.
4.Transfer to the pan. (Be sure to spray your pan with Pam cooking spray first to prevent sticking). Transfer the mixture to a 13×9-inch baking pan. Using the rubber spatula, lightly and gently press into an even layer. Add Wilton party sprinkles at this point, (if using).
5. Cool and cut the bars. Let the treats stand at room temperature until set, about 1 hour. It is important to completely cool since the sweetened condensed milk gives them an extra creamy, extra gooey consistency. Cut into 3-inch squares and serve.
Storage: The treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.